Wednesday, April 12, 2017

dark germans mistaken as arabs in germany

VeryCherryBerry
VeryCherryBerry3시간 전
I completely understand! I'm German, born and raised in Germany, Speak German fluently, went to a German school, have the citizenship but because my parents are from Iraq and I don't "look German", I am always seen as a "foreigner". They ask "where are you from?" Germany! "no, no, where are you REALLY from?"... like dude, if I was white and blonde with blue eyes and had ancestors coming from the Netherlands, you wouldn't ask me that question!  And why does it matter? I am ME  not my parents. If someone wants to get to know ME, where my parents grew up shouldn't be the first thing they want to know. Maybe ask for my hobbies first, get to know me as a person and THEN ask details like that..

Now I understand why people would ask that... i honestly know where they are coming from, but I am SICK of being reduced to my parents birth place, I am SICK of being labeled a "foreigner" in the country I grew up in. I am SICK of people who assume I'm Muslim just because I have dark hair and slightly darker skin (newsflash : I'm atheist). I just want people to get to know ME as a person first before they put the stereotypes of Iraq on me...
간략히
답글 24    
답글 숨기기
 FunnyGaming
FunnyGaming3시간 전
I have the same problem my mom is native American mix with Vikings ancestor she the last generation ,I don't have the blood but I look indian or Mexican for most people and I love wearing diffenrent coloful ethnic dresses mostly indian. People get surprise when I told them my backgroung, that if they want to find a more pure Quebecker you will need to be 100 pourcent Native anyway  (I always feel like they think I will bomb them,some think I'm a arab women wtf )My dad is Quebecker with French ancestor he very white ...I never feel at my place in Quebec and I'm born there. I'm sure indian people will welcome me with open arms...
자세히 보기
답글 1    
 DdD
DdD2시간 전
Wenn Ihnen etwas am deutschen Volk nicht passt, dann suchen Sie sich ein anderes Land.
답글    
 JustChris
JustChris2시간 전(수정됨)
Why get offended over everything?
Of course they'll ask you where your ancestors came from (newsflash: Iraqis don't look german).
I grew up in Germany too, surrounded by friends from turkey, india and arab countries and nobody was getting offended by a simple and legit question. It's not supposed to insult anyone, it's a honest question and possibly even a sign of interest.
People nowadays whine and cry about every little thing. Grow the hell up.
자세히 보기
답글 1    
 騎士熊
騎士熊1시간 전
JustChris Us Canadians always ask what a persons background is and I ask white Canadians too since Canada is a land of immigrants
답글    
 JustChris
JustChris1시간 전
Yeah it's called common sense but appearently the small minded consider it insulting.
답글    
 VeryCherryBerry
VeryCherryBerry56분 전
Ok.. You guys are pretty heartless. Immediately insulting me like that for a very personal experience and feeling... but alright. OF COURSE I understand that they don't MEAN TO be rude. Of course i understand that it's not an insult. I never said that it is an insult. But you see, by asking they are implying that only blonde Caucasians can call themselves "German". And that's what I mean : that's not okay. If someone GROWS UP SOMEWHERE, had the citizenship, feels home there, speaks the language, they should be able to call themselves "from that place". Just because I LOOK different, doesn't make it any less real that Germany is my home. I don't HATE people or feel offended or insulted when they ask. But I'm trying to raise awareness that "hey, not all Germans are white and blonde and stereotypical AND THAT'S OKAY, it doesn't make them" less German" if they look different "... Like I said, i get where they are coming from, I understand WHY they ask, I just don't like the feeling of" where are you REALLY from? " I'm REALLY from Germany. My parents might be from somewhere else but that doesn't change my identity... 
간략히
답글 2  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIy0F2mx3aM

No comments:

Post a Comment