Thursday, April 13, 2017

Still Horribly Tired After 10 Yrs After Having Mononucleosis virus! (Page 1)

Still Horribly Tired After 10 Yrs After Having Mono! (Page 1)






kendre

August 14th, 2006



Has anyone had anything similar to this? I got diagnosed with mono in highschool in 1996 and have never been the same since. Constant fatigue, meaning, I could sleep for days and still feel exhausted! Recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 years or so ago. Just have never been able to get over the constant fatigue! I have tired nearly eveything, including homeopathy! Anyone have any suggestions? This is really getting old and completely ruining my life............I am a mother to a wonderful 3 year old son and hardly evey have any energy.

Thank you so much!


Major Depressive Disorder

Learn About an Add-On Prescription


Treatment For Adults w/ Depression


www.information-about-mdd.com



Did you find this post helpful?

First Helper  healthsmart

Tell a Friend | Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


User Profile

sandyallen

replied August 14th, 2006

Extremely eHealthy




Welcome! I am not a dr but I was told that once you have mono that the tests always shows mono or at least mine did and fibrmyalgia pretty much does about the same thing. If you do a google search and look under .E.B.V. It might help you and going back to see your dr might help too, I have that and chronic fatigue syndrome also along with other medical conditions and it is terrible as far as energy goes and pain and discomfort.
Good luck!
Keep us posted.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




kendre

replied August 14th, 2006





Thanks, I appreciate it! Yeah the pain is really getting bad!!

Your post was very helpful!

Good luck to you as well!



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


User Profile

sandyallen

replied August 14th, 2006

Extremely eHealthy




I should have said ebstein bar virus but I am not sure of the spelling for one but I know that it is also listed under ebv, sorry, I have fibro-fog myself.
All the best.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




teacup858

replied January 11th, 2008



Brain Fog



My son (now 27 years old) had mono in 2000. Ever since then everytime he gets a cold or flu, this terrible brain fog, numbness sets in and lasts for about 2 weeks or so. The cold or flu symptoms will be gone but the fog stays. He has been to several dr's and they run tests and can find nothing wrong. They seem to have never heard of this and think he is crazy. It is very debilitating for the time that it lasts. He drives a garbage truck and is unable to work because he can't concentrate and is exhausted. Sleeps most of the time. The fog gradually goes away and he is as good as new. Does anyone else have this or know anything about it?



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




cortical

replied February 5th, 2008



re: Brain Fog



Hi tecup

I am as old as your son, and a son myself (which is to say male). Had mono about a year ago. Now I experience something similar to your son. Not entirely debilitating, but getting more and more difficult to keep up the tempo at work. I recognize the fog also.

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say he is not the only one.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




debbiem13

replied January 8th, 2009



My 13 yr old daughter was diagnosed with mono



My daughter was diagnosed two years ago and has not been the same since. We have constantly been to the doctors but have no help in the matter. She has no energy ...she gained 50 lbs...its so debilitating that she goes to school , comes home, and falls fast asleep. she is so depressed now...and all the doctors want to do is focus on that. No one wants to address the fact that the depression stems from her total lack of energy since mono. She is told to go on a diet and exercise. that would be fine if she had the energy to do that. The poor girl is only 13 and i dont know what else to do!! Any suggestions?



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




elguillao

replied January 11th, 2009



16 year old mono 4 months + need cure!



I am 16 years old, and I have had mono for four months, and my tiredness is not going away. I know that I have not had it as seriously as you guys on this forum (2years +), but it is still very aggrevating. I try to tell myself to get sleep, but on some weekdays when I have a lot of homework I only get like 6 hours of sleep.. but on weekends I get like 8-10 hours of sleep. But, I want to know if getting sleep is the cure to my mono, because if it's not (and I have some other illness), then I don't want to waste my time sleeping! I only missed school for 3 days when I first got mono, and I returned when the inflamation in my throat was cured (not when my tiredness was cured). I am taking extremely tough classes, and I do a lot of other high - maintainance activities and I feel horrible and embaressed when I do them because: I feel like I'm living in a half-vivid dream, where things seem foggy, unclear, and trippy to me. I feel like I'm intoxicated, or under the influence of some drug... I need to find a cure for this!



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




ppc

replied January 26th, 2009



mono years later



Hi,
I'm 36 and had mono as a teen and felt that for 10-12 years after that I lacked the same energy as my friends and needed more sleep. In university, I needed a 2 hour nap daily and this continued into my adult life, but the last five years has been pretty good. I've been reading recent news on sleep habits and it is actually healthy and normal for people to get 8-10 hours of sleep and we are actually a sleep-deprived society, so if you are getting 6 hours a night and you are actually someone who needs 10 hours a night (I think I am), then no wonder you are exhausted on weekends. I've just talked to some other people I work with who have mono who are adults and they believe that it still affects their energy even as adults. When we get tired, we are exhausted.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




unexpectedblessingxx

replied October 26th, 2009





Hello all,
I am 15 years old, and had mono last year on top of many other things. (Lymes disease, pain amplification syndrome, and a sprained back plus many issues i've had for around seven years and insomnia/RSL) my mom is a doctor, and it seems like a lot of you who have had it for less than a year, it can take up to a year or more for it to go away. as for the person who first posted, Fibromyalgia (much like Lymes symptoms) can cause fatigue, so if you were diagnosed with Fibro, why don't you know that it can cause severe fatigue? I am still having mono symptoms, along with not remembering half of the day.
my best wishes for you, and a good thing to do is moderate! i was at mayo clinic for around two or three months in a pain clinic for teens, and moderation, good diet, good sleep hygiene, are all parts of it.
I wish all of you the best of luck and get some answers



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




monovictim

replied November 16th, 2009





I got Mono almost 2 years ago at the age of 50. I am feeling fatigue, joint pain, and the brain fog is back again after a 3 month period this summer of feeling great. I though it was completely gone after 18 months,I was so excited, but it is back. I was totally healthy and in great shape when I got this. I was at the doctor last week and they took blood so they can check several things. I told the doctor that I want to know why I am not yet rid of this crap. There must be a reason why some get back to normal and some don't. I am going to push for answers. I hope the rest of you will do the same. My goal is to feel good again. Mono is robbing me of my energy and at my age that is a huge theft. I would love to hear from other older Mono victims.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


User Profile

dixiegirl0102

replied November 18th, 2009



I feel your pain



I was told today that I have mono, I'm 40 years old, and have gained 40 lbs in the last year, I went to several doctors before and they kept saying change your diet and exersize, I don't eat alot usualy one a day, so that was not why I gained weight, it is very frustrating I went from a size 5 to a size 14 and feel like the good year blimp. no matter how hard I try I cannot loose the weight and feel bloayed and swollen all the time



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




blujan2002

replied November 17th, 2010





I am wondering if a person can spread mono years after having it. I am 27 years old and had mono when I was 17. Now my fiancee has mono and we are just wondering if it was possible for me to have given it to her. We also work in theatre so we do have to use makeup that is used by the troop. Any ideas???



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




vickie54

replied November 28th, 2010



mono relapses



I had mono when I was 15. It came back when I was 50. The blood test confirmed it...not the mono spot test but the actual blood test for EBV. Once you have mono it will always show up on a mono spot which is the same as a titer test that will show that you had if you had german measles. It doesn't mean you have german measles now. Eventually, I was dxed with an immune disorder.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Mommy2Cammy

replied May 12th, 2012





Hi! I am actually excited to have found this post. I am 28 years old and I have dealt with severe fatigue as well as just not feeling good for as long as I can remember. When I was in 5th grade I was diagnosed with mono. I was in and out of school for a month or 2. My sister also had it but no where near as bad. What was weird was no one else in the school had it or I'm our neighborhood. Anyways, that's besides the point. Then, when I was a freshman in high school, I got it again from my boyfriend. This time was way worse. I was sicker than Ive ever been in my life. My throat completely closed shut. I wasn't even able to swallow my own spit. I ended up being hospitalized (just for the day) and was put on an IV. I remember feeling an enormous emount of relief after finishing multiple bags of fluid. I was out of school on and off for several months. Since then, I have never felt the same. I would go to bed on the weekends at a reasonable time for a teenage girl, and then I wouldn't be able to get up until 5pm. And even that was rough, my mom would start forcing me around 4:30pm. This is getting long so I will sum it up. Bottom line, I have been feeling sick and extremely exhausted for years and years to the point it is hard to hold a job or have a life. I have a 2 1/2 year old little boy and it is now affecting him because I just want to sleep. Everyone treats me like I'm crazy and sad that it's in my head and that I am lazy. That is so hurtful because I hate feeling this way. I have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue like a couple of you guys. I have researched both and I know more than my doctor! I started taking Nuvigil 250mg but after a week it was switched to Provigil because I insurance reasons. It worked like a dream (the first 3 days are rough as far as side affects) but then after 2 weeks it just stopped working. Have any of you girls found that your symptoms are a lot worse the week before and of your period? I am unable to function during that time. I don't think people understand what debilitating fatigue is like. Sorry this is so long. I came accross this years after it was posted so have any of you guys had any relief or found new info? Anything would be much appreciated! I know Its selfish of me but It feels good to know that I'm not the only one out there going through this....



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




healthsmart

replied May 30th, 2012



mono, sleep deprived, gets better.



I'm 25 now, and was diagnosed with mono in high school and ever since then it never seems like I can get enough sleep regardless of how many hours of sleep I am getting. I remember coming home from school and falling asleep and not wake up until the next morning completely exhausted and miserable. Being constantly tired caused a huge problem with school, and my mom used to get angry because at any chance I had I would sleep, for instance going to the grocery store by the time my mom backed out of the driveway I was fast asleep. Now being in university and being constantly tired has created a problem but after years of trying what I thought was everything I figured out what works for me and has for the most part allowed me to feel normal.
The first thing I want to point out and that made the BIGGEST different for me, was getting my tonsils removed. I was constantly getting tonsillitis after getting mono and I waited until college to get them out. GET THEM OUT AS SOON AS YOU CAN! As soon as I got them out, and recovered from the surgery I almost felt like a completely new person. Not only did my energy levels drastically increase, I was no longer getting as sick to the point where I needed to be hospitalized for my sore throats and fever. My overall quality of life drastically improved and I regret everyday not getting them out sooner.
Second, keep a strict schedule. Learning to keep a strict schedule has really helped me and seems to have programmed my body to balance out my energy levels throughout the day. Obviously no schedule can be 100% since things come up, but for the most part a daily routine down to waking up at the same time in the middle of the night to pee has really helped.
I also keep a relatively healthy diet (for a college student). I've learned that eating regularly and eating a lot of carbs helps keep my energy levels up, and gives my body the extra fuel it needs to get through the day. Drinking protein shakes has also helped me get the fuel I need to keep going throughout the day.
Another thing that helped greatly, and as much as this sounds crazy for those of you who experience little to no energy, is GO TO THE GYM DAILY! Ever since incorporating a gym routine of even 1 hour a day into my daily routine I have felt even better. Getting started was difficult, even thinking about the energy I would exert at the gym made me even more exhausted but once I got into it and made it mandatory I slowly started to not only feel more energized, but obviously my confidence was boosting from a banging body.
The last thing that helped me was since I am in school I went to a doctor about an adderall prescription. Though somedays it feels like I am so tired even when taking it I can still sleep the day away, most days it has drastically helped me focus and keep energized in school, since after having mono my concentration levels were at about 0.
Somedays I still try to get in an hour nap after class around 6pm to reenergize for the night but I try not too, seeing as it seems to become a habit and once 6pm comes around I automatically get even more tired.
Overall the combination of these things has greatly improved my ability to function daily. There are quite a few days I don't even take my adderall and feel normal. But I keep to a very strict schedule, and once it breaks it isn't long before I am exhausted and struggling.
I hope this helps anyone it can, I know its very difficult and it seems hopeless, but trust me there is hope! AND GET YOUR TONSILS OUT! NOW! trust me, you will want to kiss your doctor everyday for the rest of your life once you do.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




daltone1111

replied July 15th, 2012



Mono



My girlfriend had mono a few months ago,is it still possible for her to have symptons of it for example,headache,stomach pains,not beig able to sleep from time to time,feeling lie blah.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




daltone1111

replied July 15th, 2012





My girlfriend had mono a few months ago,is it still possible for her to have symptons of it for example,headache,stomach pains,not beig able to sleep from time to time,feeling like blah.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


User Profile

Sporque

replied July 15th, 2012

Experienced User




Yes, and it's also possible those problems can persist for much longer then a few months. Hopefully not though.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




lbh1

replied August 13th, 2012





I also had mono about 17 yrs ago and never felt the same afterwards. This particular discussion goes back several years. Has anyone found solutions for the fatigue or explanations from experts? Thank you.
Lauren



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


User Profile

Sporque

replied August 13th, 2012

Experienced User




The aftermath of mono can go on months or even a couple years. However, 17 years of fatigue is not caused by mono recovery, instead you should work with your doctor to find another reason for that.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




lbh1

replied August 14th, 2012





You are right. It is not still mono. The doctors have said it is chronic fatigue. Still, I would really like to know more about why mono lead to chronic fatigue in my case. There are several studies I have found that document the connection but my doctors don't seem to have any information.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




marywigg

replied January 12th, 2013





I am a nurse and was dx. with Mono at age 40. Can't remember now if it was EBV or CMV. Anyway, I feel that I never recovered my energy. I keep working and going and doing...but feel so exhausted and the legs just feel so tired,no energy. I have also had four textbook fibromyalgia -like flares. It seems that in the area where I live, there is a stigma about chronic fatigue and Fibromyalgia and most docs and practitioners assume that it is all in ones head, or they are suffering from deconditioning,etc.. I feel very certain that I have both. BTW I am now 57 years old . I stay almost as active as ever, but it is a greater struggle now. I just don't talk about it. Is there a way to find a Doctor in the western Ky. area that actually is knowledgeable about these illnesses? I really feel that this all stems from the "insult" to my immune system back in the 90's when I got Mono.



Tell a Friend | Report

Did you find this post helpful?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Davidhill76

replied February 11th, 2013





Im going into four months at age 23.

But I still havent been dx'd with mono.

Ive just been to a blood specialist for more tests.

My symptoms are very similar to those of Chronic fatigue.

The main thing is the weakness and lethargy, but the brain fog worries me as well. I need to be sharp and quick yet find myself spacing out a lot.

This is making it very hard to graduate from college. What are the best tips for this?

I cant even watch TV shows without getting lost.

Does anyone else also have extremely strange food cravings and times of irritability and uncontrolled emotions, almost like it is affecting your hormones?

Also, does anyone else experience numbness and coldness in your extremities?



aks4peace

August 19th, 2013



Nice to know that I'm not alone with fighting against Mono



Wow! I am so glad I found this. I had mono back in high school, and ever since then I just felt extremely tired, and I always know when I'm about to get sick because my throat starts to hurt. Has anyone had a situation whith strept throught happening before and after Mono, almost every year? I also get a haziness, so much so that I went to a psychologis for it, and they told me it was just anxiety. While I know I worry about somethings, I feel like it would be a lot better if I could just get some energy!! I wake up every day exhaughsted! Is that normal? Because I hear that people feel rested after they sleep, and I just can't remember that last time I felt "rested". I am just glad to know I'm not alone, I thought I was crazy, and kept telling myself just to get up off my butt and stop being lazy. I've tried all kinds of exersices, was at a point of running everyday, and still felt exhaughtesd. I am now 25 years old, and it has been ten years since I got mono. It was so hard going through high school and college having everyone tell you that you are too lazy. Even thought I worked full time and was going to school full time, along with takeing care of my siblings and something about friends. Yet I was still considered lazy? Sorry, if this is all over the place, I just found this forum because just today, I woke up with such an intense haziness. I'm just glad to know I'm not a lone.


http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic70644_20.html

No comments:

Post a Comment